Eunice ChowDigital Communications Project Coordinator
Are you looking for ideas for a Mother’s Day present?
These Cherry Blossom Raindrop Cakes might be the perfect solution!
Raindrop Cakes are a popular dessert in Japan and South Korea because of their beautiful, crystal clear appearance and the fact that they are low in calories. They are also easy to make!
Follow the steps below and make a lovely surprise gift for your mum on her special day!
Candied / salted cherry blossom (Sakura) ─ 1 or 2 for each cake (can be bought in baking supply shops)
White jelly powder (agar agar) ─ 16g
White sugar ─ 10–15g
Hot water ─ 510–520ml
Black sugar syrup ─ according to taste
Roasted soy flour ─ according to taste
How to make:
1. Soak the candied / salted cherry blossom in cold water to remove the excess sugar / salt and to let the flowers unfold.
2. Mix 16g of white jelly powder and 10–15g of white sugar in a separate bowl.
3. Prepare 510–520ml of hot water and add a third to the sugar/jelly powder mixture.
4. Stir until the powder is completely dissolved. Add another third of the hot water, stir and mix. Then add the remaining third and stir.
5. Add the mixture into the circular moulds until they are half full.
6. Add a cherry blossom to the mixture in each mould. Use chopsticks to push the blossom up and down to spread the petals.
7. Place the lids on the moulds. To make a larger cake, add more of the mixture through the top of the mould until it is about three-quarters full. Let the moulds stand at room temperature for about 1 hour. If you would like cold Raindrop Cakes, let them set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
8. Once the cakes are set, remove the lids. Lay a plate over the moulds and turn the plate and moulds over to remove the cakes. Serve your Cherry Blossom Raindrop Cakes with roasted soy flour and black syrup to give your mum a wonderful Mother’s Day surprise!